If you have a dog that struggles with good night sleep, it can be disheartening to see your dog suffer. Your dog can have a hard time to get a good night sleep because of discomfort or aching joints being pressured.
The orthopedic dog beds are an excellent solution for your dog’s problem. Just like a human, dogs also want to sleep in a comfortable bed. This article shows the considering things while buying the orthopedic bed for your dog.
Why Does Your Dog Need A Great Orthopedic Dog Bed?
Most of the dogs can sleep anywhere, that doesn’t mean that they should. If you give a soft and comfortable place to rest your dog’s head at night, your dog will enjoy his own space. Your dog bed not only provide a comfortable place to lie down but also it helps to regulate the temperature level and cushion his joints.
Many dogs receive a sense of safety and security from their beds. There are many advantages in the orthopedic bed to your dog. These beds make your dog comfortable sleep at night.
- Arthritis ( from mild to severe)
- Dogs that have neurological conditions or surgeries
- Soft tissue injuries such as ligaments, tendons, etc.
- Hip dysplasia
- Bone injuries such as luxation, fractures, etc.
- Other joint problems
The Most Important Elements To Consider When Buying An Orthopedic Dog Bed
1. Dog Bed Size Considerations
Before shopping for an orthopedic mattress, you need to measure the size of your dog. Size is the first thing you need to consider while selecting the orthopedic bed. Do a measurement when your dog is in a reclining position with both backs, and front legs are extended. If you have a small dog, add 6 more inches to your measurement. If you have a large dog, add 10 more inches to your size.
It is essential that the orthopedic bed can support the weight of your dog.
2. Different Types Of Orthopedic Dog Beds
There are various kinds of inner foam is used in the orthopedic beds. While purchasing the bed, you need to select the one that is best for your dog.
- Air-Filled Bed: Air furnished orthopedic dog beds are great for traveling purpose. Because these beds are both lightweight and waterproof.
- Memory Foam: It is also called a therapeutic foam. These beds are contoured dog’s shape, and even the insulating materials help to control the temperature changes. This type of beds is an excellent choice for older or arthritic dogs. It helps them to relief from pain and also giving them needed support.
- Egg-Crate Foam: These beds have the textured surface. Instead of flat layer, it is having the shape like an enlarged egg carton. This foam helps to keep the dog warmer in winter and cooler in summer. The egg-crate foam is more affordable than the therapeutic foam. And also these beds are less supportive and durable than the therapeutic foam.
3. Does Your Pooch Need A Heated Dog Bed?
The heated beds help to ease the uncomfortable symptoms, and it reduces your dog’s pain. And also help to increase the circulations to painful areas.
Heated beds relax the tight muscles and help to make the joint more flexible.
It works like a heated pad and provides additional warmth. These beds have concealed the cords so your dog cannot chew on them.
Other Considerations While Purchasing An Orthopedic Dog Bed
Purchase the bed that has the removable cover so it can easier to wash. If the foundation does not have the removable cover, you can always buy a one.
- Give enough time to your dog to use his or her new bed. Most of the dogs are don’t take to change first because they are conservative.
- Orthopedic beds are an excellent solution for the ailing dogs and canines recuperating from surgery.
- An orthopedic bed will allow your dog to enter and exit without any assistance comfortably. Choose a bed that height of 2-3 inches for small dogs and 6-8 inches for large dogs.
- To make your arthritic dog more comfortable, find a warm place for the bed. You can also place the bed near the door to make going outside easier. You can also consider the place where the family members spend a lot of time to make your dog close to their people most of the time.
- An orthopedic bed has many advantages including the medical conditions. So it is good to consider your vet to see if the orthopedic bed might reduce some pains that your dog has. These beds are generally relieved the joint problems such as bone and soft tissue problems, and back problems.
- Watch your dog while they sleep is also helpful to know your dog’s problem. Consider your dog’s sleeping condition while purchasing a bed for your dog.
- Choose a bed with a high-quality material is not only withstand for a long time but also it provides as much support as possible for your dog. So, select a bed with high-quality foam. An excellent quality bed is a help to reduce the muscle pain, joint or bone issues and also it relieves any stress.
- Orthopedic beds with inferior quality materials will wear out quickly, and it does not provide support and comfort they need.
How To Find Your Orthopedic Dog Bed
Orthopedic dog beds are considered to the specialty dog beds, and especially they are designed to relieve pain and give a good night sleep. Ask your vet to choose the excellent quality orthopedic bed for your dog.
Not all pet stores will stock the orthopedic beds. Go into your local bed store and discuss the orthopedic bed options. Talk to your local pet store employee and discuss a dog’s breed, size, other considerations, and favorite selling brand.
Shop online – there are many brands available online for your dog. Many review sites dedicated to reviewing the product quality, cost, and durability. Try to find the sound quality website and read the user review and vendor review about their orthopedic beds.